Finding a quality sewing machine is not a problem, nowadays. However, finding a machine that fits your needs perfectly can be quite tricky. If you are looking for the best canvas sewing machine, it doesn’t get any easier. Industrial machines that will sew through anything can cost you an arm and a leg. On the other hand, budget sewing machines for home use might have problems with heavy fabric. Or, even worse, it can experience malfunctions and breakdowns on a regular basis. So, you see the problem. You probably don’t want to spend a fortune. But, you don’t want your machine to be in the repair shop more often than at home.
In this article, I will try to help you make the right choice. I will show you some of the best options. The best choice depends on your preferences, what kind of canvas you plan on using the most, and how often you want to sew. There is also a choice between excellent machines designed especially for heavy fabric and versatile machines that can take on various projects.
What to Look For
First of all, you need to assess your skill and desires. If you are a beginner you should go for a user-friendly machine with decent power. Also, it is important to know what kind of projects you want to take on most often. Basically, it comes down to finding a machine that suits your work and your level of experience.
- Power and speed – If you want to work with canvas and other heavy fabrics, power is the first and probably the most important thing. Speed is desirable, but not necessary. However, with power usually comes the speed. When you narrow down your choice according to budget and other requirements, always go for the most powerful one. Power can make a difference between enjoying and suffering when taking on heavy fabric.
- Stitches – For most of the work you will only need a straight stitch and a zigzag stitch. However, I would look for a machine with more stitch patterns. More stitch patterns allow you to be more creative. Besides creativity, playing with different designs will help you to improve your stitching. I like to keep my options open. For that reason, it is good to have more stitches even if you don’t plan to use all of them. Chances are you will change your mind.
- Everything else – There are numerous features to choose, but none of them are essential. It all comes down to your preferences. The cost, is it noisy, is it heavy or lightweight, is it computerized or mechanical, and so on. Those are the questions specific to you and your current desires.
Best Canvas Sewing Machines
With so many different preferences and desires, it is impossible to make a simple “best of” list. Not to mention a wildly wide price range. Is it better to spend a fortune on a powerful industrial workhorse, or to buy a solid and versatile low-cost sewing machine? There is no correct answer to this question. So, I will pick some of the best machines from both worlds.
At the entry level, this is the best sewing machine you will find. It is surprisingly sturdy and powerful. This machine can go through thick and thin with an amazing speed of 1100 stitches per minute. It comes with 23 built-in stitches, automatic needle threader, walking foot and many more features.
Even though it is a low-cost machine it has a metal interior frame which means it’s durable. Moreover, it performs quite well. But it stands out the most for its power.
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The 23 built-in stitches including basic, stretch, decorative, and buttonhole stitches allow you to sew a variety of projects, such as fashions, home décor, quilts, crafts, and more
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER SEWING MACHINE: After following the threading path printed right on the machine, this built-in feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration. Amps (0.7). Watts (84). Volts (120). Hz (60)
Janome is well-known for its heavy duty machines. This machine is an impressive and robust workhorse. It comes with 18 built-in stitches. While it doesn’t have a great variety of stitches, it performs beautifully. It is a strong, but relatively quiet sewing machine.
This machine is easy to use so it is an excellent choice for both beginners and more advanced sewists. Heavy duty metal frame, adjustable foot presser pressure, 7 piece feed dog, and extra high presser foot lift are just a few of many features of this machine. Still, excellent stitching quality outshines other features.
- Automatic Needle Threader - No More Straining Your Eyes! Simply Use the Built-In Automatic Needle Threader and Throw Your Frustrations to the Side! / Jam Proof Top-Loading Bobbin System - It's Easy To Change Your Bobbin and There is No Need to Worry About Running Off the Edge of Your Project Because the Bobbin System is Jam-Proof
- Easy Stitch Selection - Simply Turn the Stitch Selection Dial to the Desired Stitch and the Chosen Stitch Will Appear in Red / Flip-Up Stitch Panel - Take a Look at All 18 Built-In Stitches at a Glance with the Flip-Up Stitch Panel
This is a model for more experienced users. It is a walking foot machine with a lot of power. This machine is actually very simple, it has no bells and whistles. It features only zigzag and straight stitches. And it is heavy, as it is made of steel. It is not the most beautiful machine, but when it starts working it is mighty impressive. It is designed to sew through thick fabric. Believe it or not, it can sew through ten layers of canvas! And it does so with power and precision.
So, this is not a fancy machine and it is not versatile. But, it is a high-end powerful sewing machine for heavy fabric. It is worth mentioning that Sailrite has excellent customer support. So, if you need a machine to work on canvas, leather and other thick materials, it is hard to find a better one.
- Zigzag/straight stitch walking foot sewing machine that easily sews through heavy materials like sailcloth, heavy canvas, denim, and upholstery fabrics (tried and true in up to 10 layers of heavy canvas and 8 layers of Dacron).
- Includes the Power Plus Balance Wheel, which offers twice the power and size of a traditional flywheel.
Juki HZL-F600 is an unbelievable sewing machine. It excels in almost all areas, which is almost impossible. It is powerful, yet reasonably quiet workhorse. Strangely enough, with just over 20 pounds it is considerably lightweight. It is feature packed with 225 built-in stitches. Box feed system provides perfect feeding to allow precision and perfection on thick and thin fabrics. Several automatic functions are flawless.
It is the most expensive sewing machine in this review, but for good reason. To call this machine impressive is a serious understatement. It is a state-of-the-art jack of all trades.
- SIMPLE-TO-USE SEWING AND QUILTING MACHINE: 255 built-in stitches including basic, stretch, decorative, letters and buttonhole stitches, meet your various needs for embroidery patterns.
- USER-FRIENDLY DESIGNED LCD SCREEN: The stitch selector switch allows you to easily see and choose your stitch. Simply select your stitches with the push of a button and view your selection on the LCD display.
With these reviews and buyer’s guide, I tried to meet everybody’s needs. So, this should help you narrow down your choice. Anyway, I strongly believe that all sewing machines in this review are a great value for money. Depending on your budget, needs, and experience you can choose one of these excellent machines and get down to business.