Janome HD3000 is a heavy duty mechanical sewing machine for home use. There is something about mechanical sewing machines. With the invention of computerized machines, many people thought that mechanical ones would end up in museums and antique shops. However, it is not going to happen any time soon. Mechanical machines are still very popular and preferred by many sewists.
If you are looking for a new sewing machine you may consider buying a mechanical one. While computerized models come with many bells and whistles, and more options than you can think of, mechanical machines have their trump cards as well. They are more affordable, more durable and more powerful considering the grade. Moreover, they are easier to maintain, sometimes you can even fix it on your own.
Don’t get me wrong here. I am not saying that mechanical machines are better than computerized ones. Because they are not. Precision and versatility of computerized machines can’t be matched. But, as I said, the mechanical machines have some advantages, too. If you are looking for a powerful, reliable and high performing sewing machine, Janome HD3000 might be your perfect match.
Janome is one of the most highly regarded sewing machine brands. Most of the leading brands in the industry make some amazing sewing machines. Therefore it is impossible to say that one is better than the other, or the best overall. It depends on the individual model and your needs and preferences. However, all of them try to stand out from the others. When I think of Janome, I see impeccable performance and durability. And Janome Heavy Duty 3000 is no exception.
Janome HD3000 Basic Attributes
This machine is a perfect example of Janome values. Janome HD3000 is a versatile workhorse, yet it is not packed with features. It is designed to do a few things, but to do it very well. The build quality is just amazing. As for performance, it is consistent and strong. It will easily sew through anything you through at it. If you are not technologically savvy, you will not find a better mechanical sewing machine. Of course, I am not comparing it to high-end ultra expensive or industrial machines. I am talking about relatively affordable home sewing machines.
Janome HD3000 stands out from the crowd for its ease of use as well. While it comes with features suitable for intermediate and even advanced sewers, it is a great choice for beginners, too. Beginners tend to go for lightweight, easy to operate and carry around sewing machines. While this has its advantages, chances are you will outgrow these machines too soon. In my opinion, sewing machines like Janome HD3000 are a much better choice for beginners. This machine will make your first steps a breeze. A strong motor and heavy-duty frame will allow you to overcome first challenges with ease and delight.
Quality Over Quantity
This machine doesn’t have a huge number of stitches and features. Its features are good enough to meet the needs of different level sewists. However, it does trail a little bit behind the competition in this segment. But, it is actually a company policy. It is better to offer a couple of high-quality features, than plenty of features with mediocre results. It is not necessarily the best approach, but it seems that it works for Janome. Some other brands have more aggressive marketing and sell more machines. Still, when it comes to loyalty it’s hard to beat Janome. Their users are their best marketing agents. Janome HD3000 is one of the models that support and improves that loyalty.
First of all, this machine has one-piece heavy duty aluminum frame. This is a backbone of the sewing machine. It makes this machine a sturdy and durable workhorse. Janome HD 3000 will perform consistently day in, day out.
The machine comes with 18 different stitches. It is not a lot, but it will cover all of your basic needs. Stitch selection includes straight stitch, zig zag stitch, knit stitch, overlock stitch, stretch stitches, and decorative stitches.
One-step buttonhole stitch makes it easy to make a good buttonhole. Dials on this machine are excellent and precise. So is the stitch dial. There is also a convenient stitch and presser feet guide panel. It is on the bottom side of the lid of the machine.
Adjustable Stitch Length and Width
A maximum stitch width is 6.5 mm, while a maximum length is 4 mm. You can adjust and control both width and length with two sliders. They are placed on the front side of the machine. The top slider is for the width and the lower one for the length.
Janome HD 3000 has a full rotary hook bobbin system. This top loading bobbin system is jam-proof so you don’t have to worry about running off the edge of your project. It comes with a translucent plastic cover. So, you don’t have to worry that you will run out of thread. Changing the bobbin is easy as well. It is also easy to wind the bobbin with push-pull bobbin winder.
Extra High Presser Foot Lift
Extra high presser foot allows you to work with heavy fabric and sew through multiple layers. This is actually very helpful. Most of the machines in this segment don’t have this feature.
Foot Pressure Adjustment
Adjustable presser foot pressure enables you to sew a variety of different fabrics. You can adjust it by simply turning the pressure dial. It takes some practicing to get it right. However, once you get a grip, you will sew with a breeze through thick and thin.
7 Piece Feed Dog
Precise fabric feeding can be a nightmare when you are tired or you lose a focus for a moment. 7 piece feed dog helps you to have full control even if you are not in top shape. Also, there is a drop feed function. It allows you to manually move the fabric under the needle. This is useful with mending and embroidery.
More Useful Features
- Free arm – Of course, this machine has a free arm as well. The free arm makes it easier to take care of sleeves, cuffs, pant legs.
- Automatic needle threader – I have always hated threading the needle. With an automatic built-in needle threader, you can leave your frustration and eye strain behind.
- Built-in thread cutter – This feature is handy as well. You can forget about losing your scissors just when you need them.
- Reverse stitching function – Reverse sewing button is easily reachable. You will find it on the front side of your machine. It is useful to reinforce seams and prevent the thread from unraveling.
As for the accessories, there are plenty of them. Janome HD 3000 comes with 7 presser feet. Those are: sewing foot, blind hem stitch foot, zipper foot, zig-zag foot, overedge foot, rolled hem foot, and buttonhole foot. Also, it comes with a hardcover. The cover doesn’t cover the bottom part, though. There is a storage compartment as well.
It contains pretty much everything that you need to get started. A pack of bobbins, extra needles, lint brush, seam ripper, spool pin and two spool holders, a large and a small one. There is more: two screwdrivers in different sizes, felt, quilter bar and instruction manual.
- Durability and stability – Heavy duty metal frame guarantee that this machine will be stable and durable. With Janome’s build quality you will be using this machine for years to come.
- It is user-friendly – High quality and easy to use Janome HD 3000 fits the bill for users with different level of skill. Everything you need is at your reach. It is easy to navigate, and even if you are unsure of what to do, you can check out the instruction panel inside the lid.
- Excellent performance – This beast can sew everything you throw at it. From silk to leather, it will perform consistently. Stitches are neat and polished to impress even advanced sewists. Multiple layers? No problem. As soon as you try this machine it feels stronger. But, it is not just a feel. It is a powerful machine. So, it has a strength and produces beauty, you couldn’t ask for more.
- Easy to maintain – Simplicity leads to perfection. Even the smallest malfunctions of computerized machines can leave you helpless in the dark. This machine is easy to maintain. You can even repair some small issues on your own. You don’t have to oil it, just keeping it clean will do.
- It is quiet – This came as a little surprise to me. You would expect that a strong motor is loud. It does make a noise as everything with the motor does, but it is quieter than most.
- Speed – With the strength, comes the speed. This workhorse can sew up to 860 stitches per minute. While there are faster machines out there, it is still pretty fast.
To be honest, I don’t think that this machine has any significant downsides. Of course, there are numerous possible upgrades and features that some other machines possess. However, Janome HD 3000 does everything that it was designed for and does it well. When it comes to some small conveniences or inconveniences, I will point them out here.
- One buttonhole style – This machine produces good looking buttonholes, but you can create just one kind. A couple of different styles would be a nice addition.
- Resetting the stitch selector – After the completion of each buttonhole, you have to shift the stitch selector. It is a small hindrance, but I am surprised it didn’t reset automatically.
- The light – The light is a little bit dim. Maybe it bothered me because I often sew at late hours, but the light could’ve been better.
- You can shift the needle only to the right – When you want to adjust the stitch width you can’t shift the needle to the left. Am I nitpicking too much?
I am mighty impressed with this machine. With its power and easily understandable settings, you can have full control even if you are a beginner. There are many sewing machine ranking lists that classify machines depending on the purpose. Janome HD 3000 is a winner on several of those lists. It is simply a powerful, reliable and performing sewing machine. When it comes to mechanical sewing machines for home use, you won’t find a better one. If you would like to buy more affordable one, check out Singer 44S sewing machine.
The toughest question is who is it best for. The build quality, the performance, and ability to sew just about anything must impress even the best sewists. However, the advanced sewists will probably go for some computerized models as they offer far more built-in stitches and features. But, if we are talking about mechanical machines it is a great choice for both intermediate and advanced sewists.
Still, I would stick with my first thought that this is a lovely machine for beginners. There is no better way to learn the trade but to do it on a reliable machine that performs great.
- Automatic Needle Threader - No More Straining Your Eyes! Simply Use the Built-In Automatic Needle Threader and Throw Your Frustrations to the Side! / Jam Proof Top-Loading Bobbin System - It's Easy To Change Your Bobbin and There is No Need to Worry About Running Off the Edge of Your Project Because the Bobbin System is Jam-Proof
- Easy Stitch Selection - Simply Turn the Stitch Selection Dial to the Desired Stitch and the Chosen Stitch Will Appear in Red / Flip-Up Stitch Panel - Take a Look at All 18 Built-In Stitches at a Glance with the Flip-Up Stitch Panel