Bread crumbs are the last thing you want to end up among your fancy new fabrics. And yes, royal purple is a classy color, but not when it comes from spilled blueberry juice. If one of these scenarios ever happened to you, leave that kitchen table to its proper use. The solution to your problems is obvious: you need a sewing machine table – separate, specialized, and convenient.
To put it more precisely, you need a sewing table or cabinet that cannot be converted back into a dining table just because the kiddo thought it might be fun.
- 1 How to Choose the Best Sewing Table
- 2 Sauder Sewing Craft Cart (Editor’s Choice) – Handy and Stylish Piece of Furniture
- 3 South Shore Crea Craft Table – Sturdy and Sleek
- 4 Studio Designs Eclipse Hobby Sewing Center – Two in One
- 5 Southern Enterprises Sewing Table – Small AND Spacious
- 6 Arrow Sewing Cabinets 601 Gidget I Sewing Table – Foldable and Affordable
- 7 South Shore Crea Counter-Height Craft Table – Great Organizer
- 8 Sauder Sewing / Craft Center Folding Table – Classic-Style Portable Table
- 9 Studio Designs Sew Ready Hobby and Craft Table – Solid and Stable
- 10 Kangaroo Kabinets K8611 Aussie Sewing Cabinet White Ash – High-End Solution
- 11 Arrow Craft And Hobby Table Gidget II – Great for Free-Arm and Flatbed Positioning
- 12 Arrow Olivia Sewing Cabinet – Cute Vintage Style
How to Choose the Best Sewing Table
Ideally, it should accommodate your entire sewing workshop – from the machine itself to all the equipment such as thread cones, scissors, bobbins, needles. Whether your apartment is big or small, a well organized sewing nook that contains everything you need makes a huge difference in terms of productivity and efficiency. Even though it’s not your primary concern, it can also make a difference in looks!
Plus, your cat won’t be able to discover your thread stash, unless you teach it to open drawers.
Check out the main features a good sewing table should have:
- Roomy enough to house everything you need while sewing. All the minutiae that are so easy to lose and so hard to track down once lost.
- Stable and well balanced. It should be able to handle high sewing speeds without shaking or wobbling. And this doesn’t always have to do with its dimensions or weight.
- It should be handy, so you can easily store the table itself. For some users, dimensions aren’t an issue; but if your place is small, you don’t need an elephant that will occupy the entire room. In that case, your choice should either be a foldable table, or a table with wheels so you can easily dispose of it when not needed.
- Spacious surface, so you can normally do all the things that aren’t sewing but have to do with it: ironing, cutting, mending, knitting. You don’t want your fabrics to crumple and mess up. However, a surface too big won’t do you good either. You just need to determine your ideal dimensions, depending on the kind of work you do most often.
- Even though there are tables you can get on the cheap, many options are pricey. Just like the sewing machine itself, this should be an investment for many years to come. Therefore, pay attention to materials your new table is made of. Make sure the surface is protected against heat, water, scratches.
- Height adjustment. Many tables on the market offer different ways to adjust the surface height, allowing you more convenience and versatility when doing different kinds of work.
- Easy to assemble, so you don’t need a bunch of people to bring it in and figure out how to put all the parts together.
This beauty contains framed door with two adjustable shelves, as well as two storage bins attached to the cart door. When not in use, it can easily transform to a storage cart that will fit your interior perfectly. Choose from two very stylish finishes. It combines two very important (and often mutually exclusive) features: it’s spacious enough, with a lot of drawers and compartments. Still, it won’t take a lot of space in your apartment.
Dimensions: 40.1 x 28.5 x 19.4 inches / Weight: 80 pounds
This elegant table comes with sliding shelf, storage drawers, scratchproof and waterproof surface. It includes wheels and caster feet so you can easily move it and lock into place; plus, storage space where you can move the machine when it’s out of use. However, make sure you have assistance when moving and assembling it.
Dimensions: 58 x 23.5 x 29.5 inches / Weight: 139 pounds
The main advantage of this table is its versatility – it will easily transform into a computer desk, with the drop-down platform to house your keyboard. Features an adjustable height platform to accommodate different models of sewing machines, which could be great if you use more than one workhorse. It will handle both lighter and heavier machines thanks to its sturdy platform. When you’re done for the day, just put the machine into the metal storage rack.
Dimensions: 60.2 x 23.8 x 29.2 inches / Weight: 55.5 pounds
Another rolling option with lockable wheels so you can move it here and there and back again. Even though this table might seem pretty small, this shouldn’t worry you if you sew garments; when extended, the worktop should be spacious enough for basic works. However, if you’re into quilting, you might consider getting a bigger table.
Dimensions: 19 x 31.5 x 29.5 inches / Weight: 47 pounds
This is one of the basic options if you don’t want to invest a lot of money and don’t need a lot of room for supplies. Adjustable height platform makes it suitable for different types of machines. Very lightweight, with sturdy folding legs that can be locked into place so the table won’t vibrate. Due to its small size, it’s great for small places. Very affordable. The table itself will fold and unfold as needed. It’s a great buy considering what you get for the price. But it doesn’t have caster wheels and much storage space. It’s great if you want to save space and it is a good sewing machine table.
Dimensions: 23 x 43 x 4.5 inches / Weight: 35 pounds
With this option, your supplies will always stay organized. It has compartments, shelves, cubicles and drawers, with two interchangeable storage modules, a wide sliding drawer, and 4 storage baskets (2 medium and 2 large). Comes with many compartments, shelves and cubicles. When all things considered, it should be a great value purchase. The working surface is a little bit higher than usual, but it’s very convenient for the back, allowing you to sit high or stand comfortably. So, if you opt for this cabinet, you should consider getting an adjustable chair too. As for assembling, experiences are mixed.
Dimensions: 26.8 x 53.2 x 34 inches / Weight: 151 pounds
Just like our favorite Sauder mentioned above, here’s another sewing table you can easily convert into a nice piece of furniture. This one also takes up little space when closed, while roomy to house all your supplies when opened. It has lots of compartments and expandable working area. Its heaviness can be a bit of an issue during transportation and assembly, but it’s an advantage when it comes to stability.
Dimensions: 40 x 19.5 x 28.5 inches / Weight: 90 pounds
Even though it’s not the most beautiful table on the market, this table has many virtues that secure its place on our list. For one, it’s easily foldable and has six caster wheels so you can move it away in no time. You can adjust the height if you need to perform some standing tasks such as cutting fabrics or ironing.
Dimensions: 60 x 36 x 30.2 inches / Weight: 69.8 pounds
This pricey and fancy-looking table is a great option for sewists who love a neat way to organize their supplies. Its unique feature is a rolling caddy that you can use for storage, plus do some small tasks to declutter your primary working area. Adjust the height to suit any machine with convenient lift mechanism. When not in use, it can convert into a small unit – and even then, it will look great.
Dimensions: 28 x 53 x 3.8 inches / Weight: 70 pounds
This simple table features an adjustable platform, so your machine can either sit level with the surface, or it can be lowered to flatbed position. Thanks to this feature, this sewing table can easily transform into computer desk or craft table. The melamine surface is tough and mar-resistant. It’s very easy to fold and store, or even bring to classes.
Dimensions: 43.7 x 23 x 5.9 inches / Weight: 35.3 pounds
Its two-position mechanism enables flatbed and free-arm positions. Place your supplies in two drawers and two deep cubbies. Note that it can only handle machines up to 45 pounds. Assembly is pretty easy and shouldn’t take more than one hour. Just like many other models we mentioned, you can convert this table to many functions other than sewing. Its unique feature is retro design, very cute and a great gift idea for fellow sewists.
Dimensions: 64 x 19.75 x 30 inches