Just like any other craft, sewing takes years to master. But unlike most crafts, you don’t need ages to complete your first project. Yes, it will be clumsy and simple, but I promise you will be able to finish it in no time. Of course, that is if you get a simple, newbie-friendly instrument like Brother XM2701 Sewing Machine.
Part of their award-winning lineup, this cute Brother XM2701 machine was made with beginners in mind. It offers more options than many of you will ever need. Experienced sewists will enjoy it too, most suitably as their secondary machine.
Let’s dive deeper and see if it’s worth buying.
Overview and Features of Brother XM2701
- 27 Unique built-in stitches: The XM2701 includes 27 built-in stitches including decorative, blind hem, zigzag, and stretch stitches and an auto-size buttonhole
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
Stitches & Buttons
The Brother xm2701’s 27 built-in stitches won’t leave much to wish for. Perfect for both beginners and more advanced sewers looking for versatility, it comprises all the stitches you need. A chart is engraved on the machine above the stitch selector knob to help you figure out which type of stitch you need for seams, hems or standard sewing. Whether it’s a baby blanket or a basic clothing pattern, just select the number, turn the dial knob, and voila!
I love that they have included a lever to pull for backstitching (also known as reverse stitching). It’s a convenient little thing since backstitching for reinforcement is an integral part of starting and finishing a seam.
The Brother sewing machine xm2701’s jam-resistant top drop-in bobbin makes it easy to load. As the case is transparent, you will never run out of thread in the middle of your sewing project.
If you are a first-time sewist, you will appreciate the automatic bobbin winding. Note that you shouldn’t use bobbins from older models since those could make a mess.
Multiple Sewing Feet & Free Arm
Engineered for easy use, brother xm2701features six sewing feet that you can change quickly. There are also zipper, buttonhole, narrow hemmer, zigzag, button sewing feet, and blind stitch. True enough, it’s not hard to find more feet, but it’s nice to have them included in the package.
Another great feature of brother xm2701 is the free arm option, which is perfect for working on sensitive, hard to reach areas such as cuffs, collars, and sleeves. This feature adds to the machine’s versatility.
Easy Needle Threader
Another automatic feature of brother xm2701 is needle threading. With many sewing machines, needle threading can be a nightmare, especially if you have poor sight. In this regard, the brother sewing machine xm2701 outperforms Brother’s similar model JX2517. All you need to do is touch the lever on the side and the thread will automatically go through the needly.
Another advantage of Brother sewing machine xm2701 over JX2517 is its LED light that brightens your working area – you may assume it comes in all modern sewing machines, but unfortunately, it does not. That’s why we are so fond of this model.
- 6 Sewing Feet
- 3-Piece Needle Set
- Twin Needle
- 4 Bobbins
- Instructional DVD
Color: 27 Stitches
Weight: 12.6 Pounds
Power Source: Treadle Powered
What Do the Users Say?
On Amazon, brother xm2701 has 4.5 out of 5 stars, with nearly 1,000 reviewers who had a say about it. I’ve read hundreds of them, and many, if not most, are from sewing rookies who had never operated a sewing machine before. A user said that he hemmed his first pair of pants within 30 minutes. It only took him once to see the instructional DVD; next time, he could thread the machine without it.
Many customers have purchased the brother sewing machine xm2701 as an entry-level gizmo for kids learning how to sew. But don’t think it’s just a toy machine is also for hobbyists and enthusiasts and beginners.
On the other hand, some customers are complaining about malfunctioning or broken parts. For some, the thread tension has issues, even though there are multiple tension level options. Other common complaints include that the oversensitive foot pedal requires weird angles (which other users solve by sewing barefoot).
Pros of Brother XM2701
- Beginner-friendly yet versatile. This machine makes a nice balance between easy setup and operating and a number of functions to start using later, as your skills grow.
- Easy threading. Both the needle and the bobbin are automatically threaded, so you won’t need more than 10 minutes to do it, even if it’s your first time.
- One-step auto-size buttonhole. These buttonholes will fit buttons of any size, so you can do pretty much anything you want.
- Lightweight machine. With its 12.6 pounds, it’s portable and easy to carry around. Seasoned sewists can make a great choice in buying this as a secondary machine, next to your primary, non-portable, heavy-duty solution. And yes, it’s not very big either. It will fit pretty much any table and you can easily move it to another place when needed.
- Very affordable. Some of the automatic features that this machine has, such as automatic needle threading and bobbin winding, are not very typical in low-end machines. Precisely these features account for the machine’s good value for the money. Even if you only sew occasionally and don’t want to make this a proper hobby, it will pay itself off with just a few easy projects. How many pants have you thrown away just because a hem went undone? It’s one of those machines that every household needs and should have.
- Quiet. Sewing machines can get noisy, even portable ones. And that can be a huge issue for your neighbors if you’re living in a small apartment.
- Great for DIY crafters and home decor. The free arm mentioned above is priceless when it comes to small projects with lots of tricky parts.
Cons of Brother XM2701
- No automatic needle up/down position. You have to raise and lower the needle position by turning the handwheel, but a button would be much more convenient. It would be of tremendous help when you want to pivot the fabric and continue sewing without losing your stitch.
- No adjustable speed control. Much as I appreciate machines that can stitch at high speeds, I appreciate adjustable speed control even more. Of course, you can control speed by varying the pressure on your foot pedal. But pedals have different levels of sensitivity and it’s hard to rely on your estimation alone. That’s why a speed slider (which is present in many other Brother’s models) leaves much to wish for. If you’re ready to shell out more money and snag a mid-level machine that has this feature, check out Brother SE600.
- LED light not bright enough. We are thankful that they installed LED lights above the work area, but they could be a bit brighter. It will do if you’re only sewing for shorter periods or during the day. But if you’re used to burning the midnight oil as I am, you might need some extra light.
- Weird placement of the presser foot lever. Since it’s located right under the arm, it takes a little bit of gymnastics to reach for it, especially if you’re right-handed.
- All the parts seem to be made of plastics. Even the zipper foot, which should definitely be sturdy. Sure, you can’t hope for metal or other robust materials within this price range and category of weight. And I don’t mind plastics in itself, as long as it lasts and works. But the question is, will it last and for how long? Brother offers 25 years limited warranty and free phone support for the product’s lifetime, though. Just make sure you keep your receipt.
- I’m not sure if I should actually list this as a con, but let’s say it, just for the sake of complete honesty. It won’t handle thick materials well. For sewists who have experience with a wide variety of sewing machines, that comes without saying. Who would expect such a cheap, portable machine to sew through leather or denim? That’s what semi-industrial or industrial sewing machines are for. However, if you are new to the world of sewing, maybe you are going to need this warning. When it comes to stretchy fabrics, this little beauty won’t disappoint you.
- No case or cover included. This would also be a nice addition. I’m not saying it’s a crucial part or anything like that. Soft cases aren’t expensive, but you will still get the hassle of finding just the type that fits.
Final Verdict – Ideal for Newbies
I won’t lie to you that brother xm2701 is a do-it-all. It’s not, but you can’t even expect it to be a superman at that price. If you’re about to learn how to sew, it’s one of the best choices out there. The learning curve is very mild and there aren’t a plethora of options to baffle you. On the other hand, it will still be handy as you hone your skills with time. And if your sewing enthusiasm doesn’t last, brother xm2701 will have paid for itself before it ends up in the basement.
If you already have a fully reliable sewing machine, then this could be your second one. Pack it up into a suitcase and bring it with you when on the go. Overall, this is an excellent machine to tackle most projects.
It can also be a great gift idea for a DIY-curious friend or even a child. Sewing is much easier these days than it was back in the olden days. And Brother is one of the companies that we should thank for it.
|Brother XM2701 Sewing Machine, Lightweight, Full Featured, 27 Stitches, 6 Included Feet||SEE ON AMAZON|